Wednesday, January 18, 2006

This post addresses a problem that I posed in my last post on this blog. The problem of finding videos which are in accordance with the strict video format specs for iPod 5G. Well, I've explored a handful of solutions for this and I'll go into detail in each one them.



For Windows users:
  1. The first and the most obvious solution for a Windows user using an iPod is to buy license for Quicktime Pro v7. This, in my opinion (which btw is highly subjective, so dont sue me), is not very useful. Actually, by buying a serial key for Qtime Pro v7, you can export different video formats to the iPod standards specified in the previous post. But the problem is that QT supports a very narrow range of video formats. Then there are issues with some particular MPEG formats (MPEG-muxed) and, incidentally, these MPEG formats are the ones which are widely popular and mostly in use. Then, there is no support for avi formats also. Apple has actually come with a solution to this seemingly "artificial" problem by launching a QT plugin for handling MPEG-muxed formats. Well, I believe (again its my subjective opinion) is that if you intend to buy softwares which solve issues with the softwares that you have already bought then you can say bye bye to the contents of your wallet.
  2. The other solution which is available on the internet is the Cucusoft iPod movie convertor. The software is pretty neat (with a nice iPod-like interface) and works for most video formats (including MPEG-muxed and avi) but comes at a cost. The free version is also available but it puts a nagging watermark on the video and, let me tell you, that watermark is indeed very very very 'nagging'.
  3. After a lot of hardwork, googling and surfing I was finally able to find the most appropriate (again its my subjective opinion) solution for video transcoding. The Videora iPod Video Convertor. Its a real neat utility, can handle almost all the video formats that I have so far encountered and is easy to install and use. And the best part is - it is FREE! Now thats what I call a good software :D:D:D
For Mac users: Check out my next blog (I am really tired right now and need some sleep... yawn)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home